In July 1891, records of registered works were published in book form for the first time. This compilation, now called the Catalog of Copyright Entries, was published semi-annually in book form by the U.S. Copyright Office from 1891 through 1978, and on microfiche from 1979 through 1982. Today, all registration records from 1978 to the present are publicly accessible through the Office’s website. More information about obtaining access to copyright registration records is available here. From the History of Copyright Timeline at the U.S. Copyright Office.